Why is honey bad for solids?

– For children, adolescents, adults and the elderly, consumption of honey is highly recommended. Apart from being a natural sweetener, honey contains nutrients that are good for the body. In fact, honey is said to be one of the best sources of energy because it contains 82 percent carbohydrates. Not to mention the 18 types of amino acids with the most proline, rich in vitamins, minerals, and various other ingredients.

However, the facts show that this natural sweetener which has a myriad of benefits should not be given to babies who are under 1 year of age. Indeed, the various properties of honey make mothers use honey for their little solids. If so, you should replace honey with other natural sweeteners. Why is that?

Honey is not good for complementary foods for children under 1 year

Apparently, honey is only given when the child is 1 year old or older. This condition is caused by the spore content of Clostridium botulinum bacteria contained in honey. These spores multiply in the immature baby’s digestive system and result in infant botulism. Although botulism is rare, it is a dangerous disease.

Benefits of Avocado as complementary foods for babies

If a baby has botulism, symptoms appear between 8 and 36 hours after consuming honey. Other symptoms include constipation, lack of appetite, and the body always looks sluggish.

However, it turns out that the dangers of honey when used as complementary foods are not limited to botulism, but cause tooth decay in infants who are in their infancy. Instead of honey, it is better to use natural sweeteners on fruit, such as bananas. As well as advice from the FDA to use corn syrup as a substitute.

Mothers should avoid giving babies yogurt or fruit smoothies . The reason is, some of these foods contain honey as a sweetener. Heat treatment during production kills the bacteria it contains, but still contains high amounts of sugar.

Recipe for solid foods for infants aged 6 – 8 months

Treatment and Prevention of Botulism in Infants

Babies who have botulism must be hospitalized intensively. Doctors treat problems that cause toxins in the body. These toxins can affect the respiratory muscles, allowing the baby to use a ventilator. Not only that, this toxin affects the muscles involved in swallowing food or drink, so an intravenous line may be necessary.

Now, there is an antitoxin to treat infant botulism called Botulism Immune Globulin Intravenous (BIG-IV). This treatment should be given if the baby is diagnosed with botulism.

Now, mothers know that honey for solids is not recommended. So, avoid giving honey or food and drinks containing honey to your little one before the age of 1 year or more. Honey is dangerous for consumption by children under the age of 1 year, it is better to keep the baby healthy during their growth and development by providing complementary foods that are recommended for them.

WHO recommendation for solid complementary foods for infants aged 8-10 months

You can ask the right MPASI menu for your little one directly to the pediatrician. No need to meet face to face, you can download the application to ask questions directly. The application allows mothers to make video calls to doctors. Good luck!