, – Diabetes is one that is quite common. Unfortunately diabetes may not cause symptoms at first. But in men, erectile dysfunction or more commonly known as impotence , can be a side effect of diabetes that they are very afraid of, especially in those with type 2 diabetes.
Although diabetes and erectile dysfunction (ED) are two different conditions, they can go hand in hand. Erectile dysfunction is defined as the condition when a man is unable to get or maintain an erection strong enough for sex . This condition can result from damage to nerves and blood vessels caused by poor long-term blood sugar control.
Having erectile dysfunction can be a serious challenge for men. This can make them and their partner feel frustrated and hopeless, thus affecting harmony. Don’t worry, there are steps you can take to treat erectile dysfunction due to diabetes.
How many times a week is the ideal intimate relationship?
Causes are quite complex
Launching WebMD , it is estimated that about 35 to 75 percent of men with diabetes will experience at least several episodes of erectile dysfunction during their lifetime. Men with diabetes tend to experience erectile dysfunction 10 to 15 years earlier than men without diabetes. As people with diabetes get older, erectile dysfunction becomes a more common problem.
Meanwhile, the causes of erectile dysfunction or impotence in men with diabetes are quite complex. It is a combination of disturbances in nerve, blood vessel, and muscle function. To get an erection, men need healthy blood vessels, nerves, male hormones, and the desire to be sexually stimulated.
Unfortunately, diabetes can damage the blood vessels and nerves that control erections. If a man has a normal amount of male hormones and has the desire to have sex, they may not be able to achieve a firm erection.
There are also several risk factors that increase the likelihood of diabetes complications and lead to impotence, for example:
- Have high blood sugar levels and are reluctant to manage it;
- Anxiety and depression
- Bad eating habits;
- Not physically active or rarely exercise;
- Experiencing obesity;
- Smoking habit;
- Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol;
- Have hypertension and don’t try to control it;
- Take diabetes medication or others that list erectile dysfunction as a side effect;
- Take prescription medications to treat high blood pressure, pain, or depression.
If you have a condition like the one mentioned above, then you should change your lifestyle to be healthier. This is all solely so that you don’t experience erectile dysfunction which can greatly disrupt household harmony.
You can also ask the doctor in the application about tips for healthy living that are effective in preventing diabetes. Or you can also ask the doctor how to avoid impotence.
Myth or fact, frequent masturbation can get prostate cancer?
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Due to Diabetes
A number of treatments for erectile dysfunction can be done. However, you need to discuss it with your doctor first about what method is the most appropriate. Some of these treatments include:
- Oral Medicine. Erectile dysfunction medications include sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis, Adcirca), vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn) or avanafil (Stendra). These pills can help improve blood flow to the penis making it easier to get and maintain an erection.
- Other Drugs. If pills are not the right choice, your doctor may recommend a small suppository that is inserted into the tip of the penis before sex. Another possibility is a drug that is injected into the base or side of the penis. These drugs increase blood flow which helps men get and maintain an erection.
- Vacuum Refinement Device. This device, also called a penis pump or vacuum pump, is a hollow tube that is placed on top of the penis. This device uses a pump to draw blood to the penis so that an erection can occur. The tape that is placed at the base of the penis maintains an erection after the tube is removed. These hand or battery powered devices are easy to operate and have few side effects.
- Penile Implant . In cases where medications or penis pumps don’t work, surgical penile implants may be an option. Semirigid implants or inflatable penis are safe and effective options for many men with erectile dysfunction.
5 Natural Medicines to Overcome Erectile Dysfunction
Those are some erectile dysfunction treatments that occur due to diabetes. The most important thing is to ensure proper treatment by discussing with a doctor and checking into the nearest hospital .