, – Eggs are one of the staple foods that must be available at home. Apart from being easy to process into a variety of food menus, its high nutritional content provides extraordinary health benefits for the body. However, there are some people who like to eat raw eggs.
In Indonesia, raw eggs are often mixed with herbs as herbal medicine. Athletes also often eat raw eggs to get a high enough protein content. So, is eating raw eggs healthy or dangerous to health?
Also Read: Like Eating Eggs? Here are 5 Mistakes in Cooking Eggs
Dangers of Eating Raw Eggs
Although the benefits of raw eggs are the same as cooked eggs, it is feared that eating raw eggs can cause Salmonella infection . Launching from Healthline, it turns out that consuming raw eggs also increases a number of risks, namely:
- Inhibits Protein Absorption
Eggs are one of the best sources of protein and amino acids. Unfortunately, consuming raw eggs can reduce the absorption of this quality protein. The protein in cooked eggs is easier to digest. Although protein is better absorbed from cooked eggs, several other nutrients may be slightly reduced by cooking, including vitamin A, vitamin B5, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Inhibits Biotin Absorption
Biotin is a B vitamin known as vitamin B7 which is a water soluble vitamin. This vitamin is involved in the production of glucose and fatty acids in the body. Vitamin B is also important to meet during pregnancy . Egg yolks provide a good source of biotin, while egg whites contain a protein called avidin.
When eggs are consumed raw, the absorption of biotin will be inhibited because avidin and biotin bind to one another. When the eggs are heated, the avidin will indeed be damaged. However, this is not a big problem. When avidin is damaged, the digestive system can absorb biotin properly.
6 Health Benefits of Egg Yolks
- Risk of Bacterial Contamination
The highest concern from consuming raw or undercooked eggs is Salmonella bacterial infection . These bacteria can be found in egg shells and in eggs. When it enters the body, bacteria can cause poisoning. Symptoms of food poisoning include stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea, fever, and headaches. These symptoms usually appear 6 to 48 hours after eating and can last 3 to 7 days.
Dangers of Bacterial Contamination from Raw Eggs
Salmonella infection is often overlooked because it gets better on its own. However, in people with certain conditions, Salmonella infection can be fatal. The following are groups of individuals who are at risk if they experience Salmonella infection , namely:
- Babies and young children. The youngest age group is prone to infection because of the immature immune system.
- Pregnant mother. In rare cases, Salmonella causes cramping in the uterus that can lead to premature birth or stillbirth.
- Elderly. People over the age of 65 are at risk of serious problems when infected with food-borne Salmonella . Contributing factors include malnutrition and changes in the digestive system due to age.
- Individuals with low immunity. Salmonella infection is prone to infection in people with chronic diseases. People with diabetes, HIV, and malignant tumors are a group of individuals who should not eat menta eggs.
Although Healthy, Can You Eat Eggs Every Day?
These groups should avoid eating raw eggs or foods mixed with raw eggs. Foods that often contain raw eggs include mayonnaise, cake icing and ice cream. If you experience signs of poisoning, check with your doctor via the app to find out the right treatment steps. Through the application , you can contact the doctor anytime and anywhere via Chat , and Voice / Video Call .