– When you are experiencing indigestion, such as diarrhea , the function of the intestines to absorb nutrients and form stool will decrease. That is why we need a special diet to help relieve diarrhea. The special diet is called the BRAT diet or stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast.
The BRAT diet is basically a dietary arrangement, by limiting the consumption of certain types of food when you are experiencing diarrhea or other digestive disorders. The types of food that are recommended to be consumed while on the BRAT diet are foods that have dense fiber, but are easily mashed, so they don’t overload the digestive organs.
Experiencing diarrhea during fasting, this is the cause
More on the BRAT Diet
When you have diarrhea, your body’s ability to digest food is limited. That is why the types of foods that are recommended to be consumed while on the BRAT diet are those that are easily digested and solidify the stool. This aims to relieve diarrhea and prevent symptoms of dehydration.
The main source of calories in the BRAT diet comes from bread and rice, which are simple carbohydrates, so they are easy to digest and help the body produce energy. Meanwhile, apples and bananas are useful for dealing with digestive problems.
The choice of banana as one of the food menus in the BRAT diet is because this fruit is rich in potassium, minerals and structures that help absorb water in the stool. Meanwhile, apples contain lots of water with pectin fiber to relieve diarrhea.
Even so, food intake in the BRAT diet is not limited to bananas, rice, apples and bread. You can also eat other types of food that are easy to digest. If you are confused, you can download the application to ask a nutritionist via chat , about what types of food are good for consumption while on the BRAT diet.
This is the type of diarrhea that causes dehydration and loose stools
During the BRAT diet, you should avoid consuming foods or drinks high in sugar, milk and its processed foods, and oily foods. Because, some types of food can worsen indigestion experienced. Also avoid consumption of alcohol and caffeine.
Then, when is the right time to go on the BRAT diet? The answer, since the symptoms of digestive tract disorders or diarrhea began to appear. However, this diet should only be done for one day. Furthermore, you can have a normal diet, especially by consuming protein and fat.
In the case of acute diarrhea without infection or other serious illness, it can be improved by following the BRAT diet and fulfilling fluid needs. However, if diarrhea does not go away on the second day or gets worse, such as accompanied by dehydration, fever, or the presence of blood in the stool, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Tips on a BRAT Diet to Relieve Diarrhea
The function of the BRAT diet is only to help the digestive organs work properly during diarrhea, it cannot replace lost nutrients. Moreover, the types of food consumed during the BRAT diet are usually low in protein and fat. That is why the BRAT diet should not be used for more than one day.
Prevent Chronic Diarrhea by Maintaining a Diet
Nutritional deficiencies and variations in food types when on the BRAT diet can be minimized, by applying the following tips:
- Choose alternative foods. You can replace the source of calories with cereals and pasta, or serve vegetables in soup form. However, avoid eating raw vegetables, spicy, sour foods, and foods that are fried to dry.
- Consume protein as a side dish. For example, tofu or boiled eggs, can be a good source of protein during diarrhea, because it is easy to digest. Avoid protein sources from nuts, because they have fiber that is difficult to digest.
- Consume black tea and yogurt. Black tea contains tannins which can help relieve diarrhea. Meanwhile, even though yogurt is made from milk, it contains lots of good bacteria that can reduce diarrhea symptoms, and of course it’s easier to digest.
- Prevent dehydration. Can be overcome by drinking lots of water, or isotonic drinks and coconut water.
That’s a little explanation about the BRAT diet. As long as it is done correctly, this diet can help relieve diarrhea. However, as said earlier, if diarrhea symptoms do not improve, contact your doctor immediately.